George & 2 Oldest Daughters

George & 2 Oldest Daughters
George, Oldest Daughter, and Me, 2nd Daughter 1968.

Caroline and Oldest Daughter

Caroline and Oldest Daughter
Caroline and Oldest Daughter in Photo Booth 1964

Boy George

Boy George
George and younger sister in 1940's

George and his Oldest Daughter

George and his Oldest Daughter
George and His Oldest Daughter 1964 in Photo Booth

Friday, October 26, 2012

Teaching the Children

Lately, I have been elated that I don't have to deal with schools any longer, since my children are now all graduated, and in college themselves. It has been a long haul as a single mother, but well worth it.

I drive past their former schools almost daily since we live a very short distance from each of them. I see the young students excited for school on their way to primary school, the more "cool" kids in junior high saunter...they don't run. High School...well now, you drive or walk, or have a parent drive you. I drove my kids mainly, sometimes they walked. On the way to school in the mornings was always a nice time to touch bases with each other on happenings, news events, current interests, or simply singing along to music on the radio. Today, my youngest daughter told me that those are some of her happiest memories.

How do you teach a child? How many times do you see behavior emulated by a child that a parent does not approve of, but constantly behaves in the same manner? I know I am guilty of that trait many times, and have to catch myself still, so as not to feel hypocrytical when telling my own children not to do it. Kids only want to feel a sense of belonging and attachment to their parents, or adults they revere. So teach the children...lead by example. It doesn't take much to gain a following....


No comments:

Post a Comment