George & 2 Oldest Daughters

George & 2 Oldest Daughters
George, Oldest Daughter, and Me, 2nd Daughter 1968.

Caroline and Oldest Daughter

Caroline and Oldest Daughter
Caroline and Oldest Daughter in Photo Booth 1964

Boy George

Boy George
George and younger sister in 1940's

George and his Oldest Daughter

George and his Oldest Daughter
George and His Oldest Daughter 1964 in Photo Booth

Sunday, August 22, 2010

How do I love thee...?

"How do I love thee, let me count the ways..." Those words lead into sentiment, devotion and commitment between a husband and wife for each other. The Brownings were renowned for their love (I have the complete series...) for each other, that they put down onto paper and immortalized their words to each other.

To me, I am a single female, and those words apply to my children, my father, my mother, brothers, sisters, etc. I do not know how I can count the ways that I love them, but I can certainly attempt it...

1. When I hear you are in pain or distress, I seek to ease that pain, for when you hurt, I hurt.

2. I am available to you and lend the ear without judgement if you need me, no questions asked.

3. I have that shoulder that is broad, and can carry a lot of burden if necessary...give it a try, I'm not scared...:)

4. My arms are open, and so is my heart. There is never a day when I will look at you and ask why you believed I would care, I do, and I always will.

This is all mushy stuff...I know. Recently, word came of an illness in our family. It makes you reassess the importance of life, and just where you are at with everyone. Regardless of the pettiness many of us seem to embroil ourselves in, there comes a time when that all must be put aside, or ideally, swept away entirely, and the family bond strengthened. To me, nothing is more important than those I love. George taught us this, and exemplifies it in his daily walk in life. My children are also rallying and showing the same mettle. Thank goodness we have each other, and the love that does not question "why?", but just "is" love...

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)

No comments:

Post a Comment