George & 2 Oldest Daughters

George & 2 Oldest Daughters
George, Oldest Daughter, and Me, 2nd Daughter 1968.

Caroline and Oldest Daughter

Caroline and Oldest Daughter
Caroline and Oldest Daughter in Photo Booth 1964

Boy George

Boy George
George and younger sister in 1940's

George and his Oldest Daughter

George and his Oldest Daughter
George and His Oldest Daughter 1964 in Photo Booth

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Home Again...Sydney still beckons...



Well, I am home now. Seattle is sunny, Mount Rainier is out in all of her glory, university begins for me in the first week of September (hurray!!!), and my children are all on their educational paths. Life couldn't have a rosier glow cast about it...but...Sydney still beckons.




Like the Sirens of old, I hear the sea calling to me, the surf rolling in my ears, and the sun beating upon me as I walk, and walk, and walk. Yes, I walked everywhere, and took the public transportation. The multi-pass cost me $41 Australian Dollars a week, and covered the ferry system, trains, and buses. I found much to enjoy about the ease of the commute, yet, still felt at times as though I was in a Dr. Who episode at times. Everyone politely (most of the time) funneled in lines as they were directed, dressed properly, spoke properly, worked on crossword puzzles, there were newspapers handed out at the stations for free, and the horoscope page read "should I get out of bed tomorrow" or something similar....hmmm, let me see...a resounding YES!




I walked from King's Cross to the Sydney Opera House, and then took the ferry to Birkenshead/Birkenhead Point to do some damage to my budget. A conscientious fellow informed me I would only have 25 minutes to shop, and spoke with me about Sydney and Seattle. Terrific conversation, and a definite example of the type of people I would meet throughout my stay in Sydney. Although...he was one of the few men I met taller than me in heels...:)




So, yes, I will begin school, study like a fiend, and keep working on myself and moving forward down my path. George picked me up from the airport, and let me know how glad he was to have me home. My dad is the salt of the earth, as were the people I met "down under". I left a piece of me in Oz....

No comments:

Post a Comment