George & 2 Oldest Daughters

George & 2 Oldest Daughters
George, Oldest Daughter, and Me, 2nd Daughter 1968.

Caroline and Oldest Daughter

Caroline and Oldest Daughter
Caroline and Oldest Daughter in Photo Booth 1964

Boy George

Boy George
George and younger sister in 1940's

George and his Oldest Daughter

George and his Oldest Daughter
George and His Oldest Daughter 1964 in Photo Booth

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wallpaper

George telephoned me, and we started chatting up a storm. He let me know that my cousin Johnny in Alaska gave him pictures of me he had never seen from my baptism. In the Orthodox Christian faith that I was brought up in "Cradle Orthodox" means you were born into the faith. I am one of those. I do not practice actively, but definitely carry the upbringing around in my heart and head and fall back on it sometimes to calm myself in moments when I need it.

Baptism is a big thing, and especially in the 1960's to my immigrant grandparents. For them to see their grandchildren carrying on the legacy meant a lot to them. Because our small church did not have any heat, and it was a double baptism, Fr. Nicholas had the service at my parent's home. As infants, you are dunked under water three times to represent the Trinity. We used an infant bathtub, not a fancy font :-) Dad insisted today that it was held at the Church. I said "no, it was at the house". "How would you know, don't tell me you REMEMBER your baptism at 3 months of age..." So, to settle it, George fetched the photos. He started chuckling and said, "you're right, the Church doesn't have wallpaper". :-)

Wallpaper is a humorous point for the two of us. My mother is an expert wallpaper hanger and did it everywhere. I hate wallpaper for the most part. So, 42 years later, we are still laughing as the wallpaper proved where the event was held. In future, my kids will look at photos with paint in the background, and will have to remember which color the room was that year ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment