George & 2 Oldest Daughters

George & 2 Oldest Daughters
George, Oldest Daughter, and Me, 2nd Daughter 1968.

Caroline and Oldest Daughter

Caroline and Oldest Daughter
Caroline and Oldest Daughter in Photo Booth 1964

Boy George

Boy George
George and younger sister in 1940's

George and his Oldest Daughter

George and his Oldest Daughter
George and His Oldest Daughter 1964 in Photo Booth

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Humbled in the Parking Lot

Today, I made a run to the store, and while getting ready to exit the parking lot, I slowed as I allowed for the elderly gentleman to cross in front of me. He ended up not doing so. He was putting his shopping cart in the return aisle. He looked to be between 86 and 90 years of age, approximately 6'3" in height, slim, wearing tan slacks and a windbreaker jacket. He was stooped in posture a bit, and when he walked away, it appeared his knee bothered him, as he limped slightly. He had a smile on his face on this gorgeous and sunny day, and I was utterly humbled.

My youngest daughter and discussed him while watching the scene. He returned the cart, did not ask for assistance, use a cane or walker, and walked as uprightly as possible, with a spring in his step, despite his limp. Very rightly, daughter #2 stated "he probably served in WWII". I see so many of my generation and younger that complain about the smallest things, and are far too lazy to even return a cart. Would that more of mine, and the upcoming generation show this type of small, yet excellent example of how simply performing a polite and courteous task can make the world a better place. It shows respect and follow through. Traits I find sorely lacking in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment