George & 2 Oldest Daughters

George & 2 Oldest Daughters
George, Oldest Daughter, and Me, 2nd Daughter 1968.

Caroline and Oldest Daughter

Caroline and Oldest Daughter
Caroline and Oldest Daughter in Photo Booth 1964

Boy George

Boy George
George and younger sister in 1940's

George and his Oldest Daughter

George and his Oldest Daughter
George and His Oldest Daughter 1964 in Photo Booth

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day, Now and Then...

I have always loved Valentine's Day. The cutout hearts, the paper doilies you can embellish them with, the sentiment behind the day itself. Every day would be better if we treated people with the love that this day appears to evoke.

I had my text of "Happy Valentine's Sweetie" and it made me smile. Today is my younger cousin's birthday, and tomorrow, my youngest turns 16. Friday was my oldest sister's birthday, and the 8th, was George's. Lots in one week, for certain. Do I expect anything today? Not at all. Do I appreciate the daily Valentines I receive? Absolutely. The day itself is, or can be, somewhat forced. The daily proof of "I love you" that I receive from family and friends is what I cherish, and this day is simply set aside to reflect and appreciate those memories.

George had a phone call from me this morning. I woke him up :-) Oh yeah, I was up first this time. That is not always the case. He enjoys catching me lying in and boasting how long he has been up. It has always been the case. The "Rise and Shine Morning Glory" that he would wake us up with as kids. Mom would always be cooking or baking something, and KOMO radio AM 1000 with Larry Nelson was always on in the mornings. Those are my memories.

Now, my kids? I have three teens that are all in high school. I stay out of their way until it is time to drive them to school. Then, when they are safely delivered, I have a coffee or tea, and the bathroom to myself, it is my time to breathe deeply, relax, and move on with my day. What will my future Valentines hold when they are gone? A quiet, a calm, a lack of bustle, but hopefully, a phone call or email telling me they love me. Again, it doesn't have to be on Valentines, I will take it when I get it, and appreciate it.

Enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment