George & 2 Oldest Daughters

George & 2 Oldest Daughters
George, Oldest Daughter, and Me, 2nd Daughter 1968.

Caroline and Oldest Daughter

Caroline and Oldest Daughter
Caroline and Oldest Daughter in Photo Booth 1964

Boy George

Boy George
George and younger sister in 1940's

George and his Oldest Daughter

George and his Oldest Daughter
George and His Oldest Daughter 1964 in Photo Booth

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Never Too Old To Learn...

I just had a customer that is from Mexico. Her language skills are excellent, and we were discussing our children and further education. She is in her early 30's, and stated that in Mexico, she is too old to return to school. In the USA, we have an ever present opportunity to pursue an education, no matter what our age. Many students that come here from other countries are exceptionally bright, however, did not "make" it for whatever reasons to university in their country. The collegiate placement abroad, depending on the country, does not necessarily allow for you to NOT do well on your high school courses.

If you are one of the many young adults who doesn't find their stride until post high school years are attained, you may be out of luck for the education or career path of your choice, unless you are in the USA.

I was contacted yesterday by the University I have applied to. My transcripts are 25 years old. I can get in with them, however, the suggestion was made that I take some summer courses at the community college and transfer them in the fall. At 41, I have this option, and am going to execute it. Not only will it ease me into the collegiate experience, and ready me for the course load, it will give me credits to bring with me to set me off on a solid footing. Never too old to learn.

My great great grandmother was 48 when their 17th child was born. Tragically, he died at age 9 from diphtheria. She decided to focus on a positive instead of wallow in self pity and grief. She taught herself to play the piano. She is quite the role model. Pernella was from Norway, and had a strong and incredible spirit and mind. The stories of "mother" were always warm, tender, and misty when my great great aunts and uncles spoke of her. The waffle breakfasts every Sunday, and NOT only for the 17 kids. The extended cousins as well would come over. What a dynamic legacy of love and laughter.

We are NEVER too old to learn to love, laugh, and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment