George & 2 Oldest Daughters

George & 2 Oldest Daughters
George, Oldest Daughter, and Me, 2nd Daughter 1968.

Caroline and Oldest Daughter

Caroline and Oldest Daughter
Caroline and Oldest Daughter in Photo Booth 1964

Boy George

Boy George
George and younger sister in 1940's

George and his Oldest Daughter

George and his Oldest Daughter
George and His Oldest Daughter 1964 in Photo Booth

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Challenges of Being An Adult At University

This week, I began a Project Management course based on the PMBOK curriculum from PMI. At the University that I attend, I am the odd student out in the age groupings. Most of the students are untried (for the most part) in life, and between 18-22. At the age of 44, I am sitting with students as contemporaries the ages of my three children. I am the old and wise woman that needs to learn to not jump in all the time with examples they can't comprehend. More than once, I have had a professor heave a deep sigh when I say something that the professor can relate to, but my fellow students cannot. Personally, I would think this an opportunity to expound on the example and bring other students into the conversation from the dark ages of life before the world wide web. However, I am simply learning to take notes and listen mostly.

The Project Management course is at the local community college. It will be for 2 quarters, and meets once a week for 3 hours at a time. The coursework is from books, and we turn in assignments online. We meet to discuss the readings and work on group projects. I was pleasantly surprised as out of the 11 students in the class, only one was from the 18-22 age group. It amazed me to weigh the difference between the chattiness and contribution of the adults as opposed to the students I am in class with. Instead of feeling like everyone is just sitting and waiting for class to end, this class was actively engaged. I don't know if it is the fact that we are all there with the purpose of adding credentials besides required classes for a degree, or the fact that we all come from the working world, not from high school. All I can say, is how wonderful it was to finally have fellow students my age to engage with. Every day holds new experiences and opportunities, I am trying to make the most of every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment